Saturday, January 19, 2013

GEMS

I don't own a single jewel or gem.  But I've experienced one. Like anyone who has held a precious stone, I want to handle it carefully, remember every small detail.  That's the beauty of a GOOD 'bye!  

Last Sabbath evening, at the end of a day overwhelmed with hugs and memories, Larry and I celebrated gems of our journey together with our Village family.  It's good to remember that  every good journey includes all kinds of experiences.  (We never expected to be bored, did we?)   There's gentle, sweet times together to remember.  Prayer experiences.  A few cliff hangers.  Sobering valleys.   Some sheer rock rappelling.  A few silent caves.  Soaring mountaintops.  And many gems along the way...the relationships and experiences I want to hold in my hand carefully and enjoy.


The bulletin announcement, an insert featuring one of my
blogs, and the evening's program.
Laura and the hard-working group around her gave us a clutch full in "Gems of Your Journey" on Sabbath evening, our last at Village!  


The tables were set like a wedding.  We laughed like a party.  I got to try on Julia's 5” heels--an extreme fashion next to my trademark flats.  Larry invited "the other dinosaur" to transfer his membership to Village.  (You'd really love Village, Dwight.)  We all sympathized with Livia, the “beginner” violinist doing the impossible for Lauren, her "teacher."  (Being a quick learner, "Lover's Waltz" was obviously a no-brainer for Livia and a tear-squeezer for me.)   If someone hadn't brought my violin, I would've probably grabbed one of theirs so I could join some of my favorite violinists one....more....time.  They were wise by inviting me up!  I'm not a good spectator.
Julia's heels

Of course the food was delicious.  Chili in bread bowls.  Crackers and dip.  Ice cream cake.  And Elizabeth's extravagant touch of egg rolls, wontons, and a fruit bouquet just for our table.  She had Steaven and Evan wishing they'd come earlier!  

What a treat to have them share the evening with us.  They multiplied the meaning.  I wish all the boys could've been with us.  Village was their family too.   They've watched the journey from the inside of our lives.  They need to enjoy the gems as well.  As Evan woofed down another egg roll with his arm around me, he mumbled, "I'm impressed."

A handful of our staff and some of the elders who were
supposed to be helping in the kitchen. 
To me, a farewell is something like wedding, a funeral, a birthday party and a worship service all in one.  Friends bring memories with them, endings meet beginnings, celebration and sadness exist together.  Each face carries all that we have shared.  Each hug expresses what we want to 
remember.  

Always God stands over it all...

Any tears I have are an overflow of awe at what He does with 27 years.  He hears prayers.  He accompanies long morning walks.  He gives convictions and words.  He sits in  late night committees and gives energy on long Sabbaths.  He crumbles daunting hurdles and clears the path.  He allows us to see His fingerprints just often enough to know everything is in His hands...especially the sheep.

I am humbled at how much He loves our Village people and how carefully He walks the journey with each one.   He's presided over all that we have experienced together.   He has protected, blessed, loved us all.  He will do nothing less, even more, in the future.

He is the Gem I treasure the most.  He is priceless to me.

No comments: